What it’s, why TrueNorth Well being Heart promotes it, and the small print of eat it.
The SOS-Free Weight loss plan – influenced by the ideas of Pure Hygiene – goals to supply optimum vitamin to forestall and reverse illness. Applicable quantities of sleep, solar publicity, and bodily exercise, in addition to stress administration, assist the health-promoting advantages of this fashion of consuming.
The SOS-Free Weight loss plan consists of 70-75% carbohydrates, 10-12% protein, and 15-18% fats, with hint quantities of naturally occurring sodium. It’s also freed from processed vegan meals and leisure medicine, together with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and marijuana. Supplementation with vitamin B12 is critical.
Why Eat the SOS-Free Weight loss plan?
This eating regimen promotes well being by eliminating animal meals and offering enough portions of nutrient-dense plant meals which are excessive in fiber, unsaturated fatty acids, phytochemicals, nutritional vitamins, and minerals. Epidemiological research and meta-analyses have recognized correlations between plant-based diets and lowered danger (and, in some circumstances, reversal) of weight problems, heart problems, sort II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, some sorts of most cancers, arthritis, and kidney dysfunction when in comparison with omnivorous diets. Though analysis has not but conclusively confirmed how plant-based diets forestall and reverse illness, the vitamins in plant meals are thought to enhance well being by reducing ranges of mobile irritation and oxidative stress, and positively affecting intestine micro organism composition and metabolites.
The SOS-Free Weight loss plan additionally eliminates added salt, oil, and sugar, together with refined carbohydrates. These substances improve the pleasurable qualities of meals and contribute to a cycle of overconsumption, in any other case often known as the “Pleasure Lure.” Utterly eradicating them from the eating regimen can probably scale back the need to overeat, particularly for people who find themselves significantly inclined to the addictive qualities of extremely processed meals.
There may be little doubt that diets excessive in sodium, sugar, and fats – particularly when mixed – result in continual degenerative ailments. Excessive-salt diets have been proven to trigger spikes in blood strain, as nicely lower arterial functioning and antioxidant exercise. Moreover, a latest examine confirmed that high-salt diets negatively have an effect on intestine microbiota and immune cells, and implicates high-salt diets in autoimmunity. Excessive-fat diets are related to elevated danger of a number of ailments, together with heart problems, diabetes, and most cancers. Research additionally counsel that oil consumption impairs endothelial cell operate, which is believed to contribute to heart problems. Diets excessive in processed sugars improve irritation, and have been related to elevated danger of nonalcoholic fatty liver illness, heart problems, most cancers, and diabetes.
Regardless of a long time of anecdotal scientific proof and a handful of revealed case reviews, there’s little scientific analysis on the well being results of the SOS-Free or comparable diets. Conducting rigorous scientific vitamin analysis in free-living people is troublesome, however evidence-based information is critical to substantiate claims. To this finish, the TrueNorth Well being Basis is presently conducting a preliminary examine on six-month SOS-Free Weight loss plan adherence charges following an in-patient intervention, in addition to the impact of the eating regimen on biomarkers of metabolic well being and irritation. This examine will present knowledge essential to design bigger randomized, managed research on the well being results of SOS-Free Weight loss plan adherence.
How one can Eat the SOS-Free Weight loss plan?
Serving sizes recommended are primarily based on a each day caloric consumption of 1,500-3000 kcal. Let’s break it down.
Meals included on the SOS-Free Weight loss plan:
- Greens: 10-30+ servings per day (serving measurement = ½ cup non-leafy or cooked leafy; 1 cup uncooked leafy). Massive quantities of greens which are dense in vitamins and low in energy. Not less than two of the servings ought to be darkish leafy greens. Eat them uncooked, steamed, baked, or often blended.
Advised greens embrace: kale, swiss chard, collards, purslane, lettuce, spinach, arugula, mustard greens, sorrel, watercress, herbs, carrots, beets, candy potatoes, yams, white potatoes, purple potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, bok choy, inexperienced beans, squash, peppers, mushrooms, watercress, artichokes, radishes, sprouts, celery, asparagus, cucumber, onion, tomato, zucchini, sea greens.
- Fruits: 4-10+ servings per day (serving measurement = 1 medium- sized fruit; 1 cup chopped; ¼ cup dried). Recent and frozen fruits; restrict dried fruits. Not less than one of many servings ought to be of berries. Restrict avocado to ½ per day.
Advised fruits embrace: bananas, apples, raspberries, harmony grapes, acai berries, apricots, cherries, melon, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, clementine tangerines, nectarines, tangerines, oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, honeydew, kiwifruit, plums, pomegranates, prunes, papaya, peaches, mango, pears, watermelon, avocado.
- Complete Grains: 0-10+ servings per day (serving measurement = ½ cup cooked grains; 1 cup chilly cereal; 1 complete grain tor- tilla or bread slice). Gluten-free complete grains; finest if they’re intact (e.g., cooked whole-grain brown rice vs. whole- grain brown rice pasta).
Advised grains embrace: gluten-free oats, buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice, corn, wild rice, millet, amaranth, teff.
- Legumes: 0-5+ servings per day (serving measurement = ½ cup cooked; 1 cup recent peas or sprouted lentils). Legumes might be eaten cooked or blended into soups, spreads, or dips.
Advised legumes embrace: black beans, kidney beans, garbanzos (chickpeas), pinto beans, lima beans, butter beans, mung beans, cannellini beans, edamame, tem- peh, beluga lentils, crimson lentils, inexperienced lentils, black-eyed peas, cut up peas.
- Nuts and Seeds: 1 ounce per day (1 ounce = ¼ cup). A small quantity of nuts and seeds goes a great distance. Could be eaten complete or as a nut or seed butter.
Advised nuts and seeds embrace: almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds.
Meals to keep away from:
All animal merchandise, together with meat, fish, fowl, eggs, and dairy; added sugar, salt, and oil; and refined grains and different processed meals ought to be fully prevented.
By together with a wide range of in-season produce and meals of all colours, the SOS-Free Weight loss plan ought to include all important vitamins, except vitamin B12. Subsequently, it’s not advisable to take dietary supplements apart from 1000 mcg of methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) except a particular deficiency arises. Small quantities of sea greens (e.g., wakame, dulse, nori, kelp) and common solar publicity are advisable to acquire enough quantities of iodine and vitamin D, respectively.
Caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, and different medicine:
The SOS-Free Weight loss plan doesn’t enable for the usage of alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, or different leisure medicine. Each time potential, additionally it is necessary to keep away from publicity to environmental toxins, together with over-the-counter or non-maintenance prescribed drugs, pesticides, herbicides, risky natural compounds (VOCs), radiation, and heavy metals.
The place to purchase meals:
Buying on the grocery retailer is simplified on the SOS-Free Weight loss plan since many of the meals might be present in just some areas:
- Produce part: Get pleasure from all kinds of recent fruits and veg- etables. Fruits are nice for snacks, breakfast (e.g. as a topping on oatmeal), as a dessert, or squeezed over salads and entrees (assume lemons and limes). Recent greens are nice uncooked in tossed salads, steamed, or put into soups or different dishes. Recent herbs are additionally discovered on this part and provides nice taste to meals.
- Bulk part: Complete grains, beans, lentils, seeds, and nuts are discovered right here. Parboiled or microwave-ready SOS- free brown rice or different complete grains are a handy different. A small quantity of nuts and seeds is health- ful, however use sparingly, as they’re calorically dense.
- Frozen part: Frozen fruits (particularly berries) and greens are a handy and cost-effective possibility.
- Canned meals: Salt-free beans and lentils are conve- nient. Salt-free tomato merchandise are particularly nice when tomatoes should not in season.
- Different: Taste might be added to meals utilizing vine- gars, citrus juices, spices, recent herbs, salt-free mustards, and SOS-free salad dressings.
Different locations to purchase meals embrace ethnic grocers, farmers’ markets, CSAs, and on-line.
Wholesome consuming is commonly cheaper than shopping for processed meals and consuming out. Persist with the buying pointers above, and think about frozen vegatables and fruits, complete grains and legumes from the majority part, salt-free canned merchandise, and group supported agriculture. Purchase produce that’s in season; it’s usually on sale and tastier than produce not in season.
Shopping for natural:
It’s nice in case you can afford natural, however don’t let concern for pesticides cease you from sticking to the SOS-Free Weight loss plan. Do what matches your finances. The advantages of consuming conventionally grown vegatables and fruits far outweigh the dangers from pesticide publicity.
Consuming out at eating places:
Many eating places now provide vegan choices, however few provide SOS-free, whole-plant-food choices. Concern not: with a bit of planning, you’ll be able to drastically decrease the hurt from consuming at eating places. That being stated, the much less you eat out, the higher. When you do eat out, keep in mind to:
- Plan Forward: Verify the menu forward of time and search for steamed or baked choices. Asian and Mediterranean eating places are finest. Name forward to verify a plate of steamed greens with plain brown rice is an possibility.
- Put together for the Worst: Virtually all eating places provide and dressing. Consuming earlier than you arrive is a good way to benefit from the firm of others whereas serving to to keep away from the dietary pleasure lure.
How one can taste meals:
There are numerous methods to make meals style scrumptious: recent herbs (e.g., basil, parsley, mint, cilantro), spices, vinegars, citrus juices, and SOS-free condiments (mustard, ketchup, and many others.) and dressings.
Weight reduction suggestions:
- Begin meals with a big plate of uncooked or steamed veg- etables (e.g., an enormous salad, vegetable soup).
- Keep away from dried fruit, fruit juices, non-intact grains (e.g., brown rice pasta, corn tortillas), and set off meals.
- Solely eat the advisable each day serving measurement of nuts and seeds (one ounce) or avocado (one half).
- Wait till you’re hungry earlier than consuming.
- Have interaction in each day reasonable exercise (e.g., strolling 30 min.).
- Cooking giant quantities of grains, legumes, soups, dressings, and different easy recipes to final the week is among the finest methods to attain success in sticking to wholesome consuming.
- Put together recent storable gadgets, akin to do-it-yourself hummus, dressings, recent herbs, and soups and stews so wholesome choices are at all times readily available.
- Wash, chop, and shred greens forward of time.
2-Day SOS-Free-Weight loss plan Meal Plan
|2-Day SOS-Free-Weight loss plan Meal Plan|
|Meal||Day 1||Day 2|
|Breakfast||Metal-Reduce Oatmeal||Banana and Flaxseed Polenta|
|Lunch||Wild Rice and Spinach with Avocado and Grapefruit Salad and Steamed Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts||Tu-No Salad with Corn Tortillas and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes|
|Dinner||Beefless Stew with Creamy Coleslaw and Fruit Salad with Recent Mint||Yellow Curry Lentils with Cider Steamed Swiss Chard and Cilantro Buttered Corn|
|Snacks||None||1 pear, 1 orange, 1 apple and ½ oz walnuts|
|Meals Sort||SOS-Free Guideline||Day 1 Servings||Day 2 Servings|
|Nuts & Seeds||1-2 oz||1 oz||1 oz|
* This text was featured within the Summer time 2019 difficulty of the Nationwide Well being Affiliation’s journal, Health Science. It was reprinted with permission from Dr. Alan Goldhamer from the TrueNorth Health Foundation.
Copyright 2023 Heart for Vitamin Research. All rights reserved.