Why oat flour? Oat flour is a wholesome, fiber-rich various to white flour (bonus: it’s gluten-free with licensed GF oats).
Home made oat flour is a lot cheaper than shopping for it on the retailer. Plus, you get to select the type of oats you want!
Whether or not you’re gluten-free or making an attempt to eat extra complete meals, oat flour is a good addition to your dishes! And in case you ever run out, you’ll be able to simply make extra.
Making your individual elements at house is enjoyable, fulfilling, and offers you peace of thoughts! Strive it out immediately.
be part of our free vegan course!
Discover ways to thrive on a plant-based weight loss plan with sensible ideas & a 3-day meal plan!
What’s oat flour
Oat flour is solely floor oats! It’s a whole-grain flour filled with fiber and micronutrients.
All you want is a high-speed blender to make it. You should use rolled oats or steel-cut — we’ll delve into the variations under.
Learn how to make oat flour at dwelling
Pour your oats right into a high-speed blender and mix till they flip right into a tremendous flour. Scrape down the edges if wanted.
It’s that straightforward.
In about one minute, you’ll be able to have a complete container of oat flour prepared to make use of.
The minimal and most quantity of oats you’ll be able to mix depends on the dimensions of your blender. Nevertheless, one cup of oats is an efficient beginning minimal! Should you’re making oat flour in bulk, be certain that your blender isn’t overfilled, so the oats course of evenly.
We suggest utilizing a blender to make your oat flour, because the meals processor doesn’t finely grind the oats as a lot.
Learn how to make oat flour with rolled oats
Rolled oats remodel right into a gentle, gentle flour much like the feel of all-purpose flour. Nevertheless, oat flour is barely crumblier. Since rolled oats have a flattened form, they mix simply.
As instructed above, place your rolled oats within the blender and mix till it turns into flour (about 50-60 seconds).
Learn how to make oat flour with steel-cut oats
Metal-cut oats take longer to mix, however they lead to a greater fiber flour! They’ve a heartier texture than rolled oats (subsequently making a denser consistency).
To make oat flour: add the steel-cut oats to your high-speed blender. Then mix for 45 seconds and scrape down the edges if wanted. Proceed mixing till a powder-like texture varieties.
Learn how to retailer oat flour
Retailer your oat flour in an hermetic container. Place in a cool, dry space for as much as 1-2 months (pantry or cupboard is finest!)
- Fridge: Lasts as much as 3 months.
- Freezer: Lasts as much as 6 months.
Since this oat flour accommodates one ingredient (and no preservatives) it has a shorter shelf life. However because it’s so versatile and scrumptious, you’ll use all of it very quickly!
Makes use of for oat flour
It’s time to have fun — you should use oat flour in all of your favourite baked items! Oat flour is nice in classics resembling cookies, brownies, muffins, and extra.
Ensure that to search for recipes that particularly name for oat flour! It’s not a 1:1 alternative for all-purpose flour, given the completely different density.
Beneath are a few of our favourite recipes utilizing oat flour:
Are you able to make oat flour in a meals processor?
Should you don’t have a blender, that’s okay — a meals processor will work. Nevertheless, it’s a must to course of the oats longer, and the feel might be much less tremendous.
For steel-cut oats, we suggest solely utilizing a blender. Metal-cut oats have a troublesome outer shell, which might be tough to mix right into a tremendous flour with a meals processor.
What forms of oats are there?
There are six forms of oats (however not all can be utilized to make flour):
- Oat Groats — Complete grain oat seed (husk eliminated). It takes the longest to cook dinner.
- Metal Reduce — Smaller lower items of oat groats.
- Rolled/Outdated-Original — Steamed and rolled. The flatter items are faster to cook dinner than metal lower.
- Fast Cook dinner — Rolled oats which can be flatter and lower into smaller items.
- Prompt — Pre-cooked and dehydrated oats. These cook dinner quicker than quick-cook oats and are often flavored. They don’t seem to be really useful for baking recipes.
- Oat Bran — Outer shell of the oat seed, beneath the husk. They’ve a smoother texture than rolled oats.
Is oat flour gluten-free?
Sure, so long as the oat flour is made with licensed gluten-free oats!
Oats are thought of naturally gluten-free in a number of international locations. Nevertheless, there’s a chance of cross-contact throughout the manufacturing course of.
One of the best route is to seek out licensed gluten-free oats to make home made oat flour (or you will discover licensed gluten-free oat flour on the retailer).
Is oat flour wholesome?
Oats, and consequently oat flour, have great dietary advantages.
The National Library of Medicine states they’re excessive in dietary fiber with a balanced amino acid profile. They’re a fantastic carbohydrate supply that’s excessive in protein.
Plus, oats comprise important micronutrients resembling vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, and selenium.
Oats usually are not solely scrumptious and versatile, however they’re nutritious too!
Are you able to freeze oat flour?
Sure! Place in an hermetic container or resealable bag for as much as 6 months. Let thaw earlier than use.
How a lot oat flour equals common flour?
1 cup of oat flour is roughly 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose.
If you would like the most correct ratio, you’ll be able to weigh the 2 flours.
Listed below are the steps:
- Place an empty bowl on a meals scale (tare the size after you place the bowl)
- Set the size to grams
- Measure 1 cup of normal flour
- Pour the flour into the bowl
- File the burden
Hypothetically, let’s say your 1 cup of normal flour = 120 g. Which means 120 g of oat flour = 1 cup of normal flour. Straightforward, proper?
Substituting with weight will yield correct outcomes, so comply with weight measurements when you’ll be able to!
Extra cooking guides
- 1-3 cups oats, rolled or steel-cut
- Measure what number of oats you have to make sufficient flour. Don’t use too little!
- Place old school rolled oats or steel-cut oats right into a blender (a meals processor can be utilized for rolled oats. It’s not really useful for steel-cut).
- Mix or pulse till you’re left with a powdery flour. It will take about 1 minute, relying on the quantity of oats used and the way highly effective your equipment is.
- Don’t over-blend! If wanted, cease and blend the oats with a spoon so they’re floor evenly.
- Use your home made oat flour in any baking recipe. Retailer any leftovers in a cool, dry, and darkish place in a sealed jar or container.
- Ensure that to make use of at the least one cup of oats when making your individual flour.
- Discover a lot of ideas within the article above!
Serving Measurement: 1 recipe
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 923Complete Fats: 16gSaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 165gFiber: 25gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Vitamin data is a tough estimate calculated mechanically, their accuracy isn’t assured. Simply deal with complete plant-based meals and eat till satiety!